Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Lord of the Rings!


Finally I started reading Lord of the Rings. I was thinking about it for a really long time and somehow I was a bit scared given the length of the book. Scared in the sense, will I able to finish it? I am an obsessed reader who would finish a book, once started reading. If I ever feel that I won't be finishing a book, I won't start it. I feel its a wrongdoing.

Anyways. I have been a huge , rabid fan of the movies since the day each of them was released. I have seen all the movies in theaters and then on DVD numerous times. I have seen both regular and extended editions and even done back to back LOTR runs. Now this is what I call, Obsession. But I think for me these movies and characters go beyond the magnificent productions. They are like watching Epics. I have read Ramayan and Mahabharat again and again and have followed the TV series about both Indian epics. LOTR is an epic. With all the different characters, movements and the of course the eternal conflict between good and bad.

Someone interestingly said that LOTR is based on a religious philosophy. I would say its based on philosophies of the world. How do you want live a life? "Even the smallest person can change the course of history", what an amazing thought. The lust for power and the fall of empires thereby, is wonderfully portrayed in the book. And if we take a look at the human history, nations and people have died to get control over the ultimate power.

I am totally in love with LOTR. Many of my friends find it a mere fantasy. For me it goes beyond fantasy. It is a reflection of human behavior and history. I am very excited to read the books now. Hope, everyone will read them and enjoy them as much I do.

No comments: