Monday, November 30, 2009

Welcome the Holiday Season

When you live in Phoenix, snow or even temperatures below freezing is hardly a common experience. In fact in the city where 360 days are sunny, sometimes having a day with temperature in 40s is the most awaited day. And that days reminds me that it is indeed the holiday season. But this year with recession and job loss and hard times I was not in great spirits to look forward to holiday season.

But this Saturday, we just decided to accompany few friends who had already left for Sedona and take a drive to northern Arizona and forget about the routine issues. The drive through Sedona is always beautiful and I enjoy just being there. However, even thought we wanted to stop at Sedona, we missed the exit and ended up going further north towards Flagstaff and suddenly where the directions said Flagstaff 6 miles, we realized that we had drove a little too far than what we wanted. But we were in for a wonderful surprise. When we decided to turn around and drive south, suddenly out of nowhere it started snowing! Snowflakes falling from the sky. I have seen snow after it snowed on roads but I don't think I actually saw snowflakes in last four years (first time in Galtinburg). The sudden snow made me so happy that we ended up bringing out friends from Sedona to Flagstaff.

I stood near a gas station just enjoying snow on my face. It was beautiful. There were Christmas lights in the gas station and Christmas songs on the stereo. Suddenly, the economy and the recession and all those negative thoughts flew out of window and I realized "It is indeed the holiday season". Sometimes in the midst of all the problems, I received an unexpected gift of snow. My holiday season started then and there. I don't need any gifts when I have the SNOW just 3 hours away :)

No comments: