Friday, January 7, 2011

God, Faith etc...

Are you a believer? I have been asked that questions a few times and other times I asked this question to few others. I have friends who consider themselves atheists and we always have discussions about God and religion and other aspects of faith in general. This country which is definitely founded on Judeo-Christian principles, definitely looks at faith from a certain point of view. However, it is interesting to see the change in public opinion, particularly the generation between 18-40 when it comes to the matters of faith or more particularly matters of religion. Percentage of atheists is definitely on the rise and I think percentage of people questioning the aspects of religion is also on the rise. Now, this particular post is not about exploring the changing nature of religion in society, but it is about my own thinking about the matter.

Being born and brought up in India, I have been exposed to many different religions and many religious practices. However, my parents were never "ritualistic". Of course, they do believe in God and have learnt Bhagwadgeeta and enjoy the more literary aspect of the religious texts. But I do not remember many incidents when me and my sister had to follow religious traditions. We celebrated all the festivals and my father did poojas. But it was never hard and fast and we were allowed to ask questions and often disagree with parents about religious traditions. I will definitely say my parents are believers but hardly religious.

I always distinguish between religious people and the believers. Religious people, as I have seen in my family and around follow all the rules and regulations without questioning any of it. I most definitely know that many customs and rituals in Hindu traditions have particular significance that has nothing to do with God. However, unfortunately people who call themselves very traditional and religious hardly know about such significance and I object to that. Many of Hindu customs and festivals are based on cycle of nature and weather and have environmental significance. Such as Vatapaurnima when women pray to Banyan tree for long life their husbands. Now, it's good to spend time in a garden full of Banyan trees and it also gave an opportunity to women (before they became independent) to spend time with friends away from household chores. There were many tress in forest 100 years ago. However, now the Vatapaurnima does not provide that cultural and environmental significance any more (there are no Banyan tress to begin with). But religious people often do not know about the background of such days and still continue practicing them. Of course, if you enjoy such days then it's wonderful. But many times I have seen people scrapping pennies to celebrate such days or fulfill such rituals. Fasting is a good thing but fasting for nine days when you are working full time is not exactly a health advice I will give anyone. This is where I have problem with religion and champions of religion.

I am a believer and I do feel good when I say my prayers and read philosophy. But I don't really care about the rituals. For that matter, when we got married in India, we did only four rituals that I had faith in. I think religion has nothing to do with God. In fact, if there is God I don't need a big bureaucracy to answer to before I can reach him. I believe that my understanding of God and my sense of safety is completely between God and me. I don't need elaborate ceremonies to prove to me that I am doing this to appease God. Since I believe in "Karma- Sindhhanta", I know I reap what I sow. So that completely cuts down all the unnecessary middlemen between me and God.

Being a person of faith gives me great comfort. I pray because it makes me feel better. Faith has nothing to do with religion. I remember this from one of the novels I read a while ago "I don't know any religion. All I know is God".

No comments: