Friday, December 23, 2011

White Christmas

I don't celebrate Christmas in its traditional sense. But I enjoy the festive feeling. Snow on the ground, smell of burning firewood in fire place, hot coffee; they are all joyful. Decorating Christmas tree and buying gifts could be fun too. Even though there is no other tradition for me per se, there is one tradition that I have been following since the year I landed in US. And that is "White Christmas".

I watch White Christmas every year on Christmas day and enjoy Bing Crosby and Danny Kay and their songs and dances and the simple deed they do for their General Waverly. I love that movie, it always makes me feel that there are good people out there who do simple things to bring others joy. I first watched this movie on my first Christmas night in US, all alone in apartment, just feeling down and depressed. I just switched on TV and White Christmas was being aired. I started watching it and was totally glued to the TV. I loved the movie like anything. I felt happy and rejuvenated. Though it was not a white Christmas in the city but it became in my heart. Since, then I follow the tradition every year and watch this wonderful and classic tale of Christmas.

What else does it mean to celebrate any holiday? We celebrate to bring happiness and realize that we are not alone. White Christmas will always remain my tradition and I hope it will become your too!

No comments: