Thursday, August 13, 2009

Go Mercury!

Last Saturday was my friend B's birthday and for the birthday celebration we went for WNBA game Phoenix, Mercury Vs. Indiana, Fever. I have been following basketball for more than two years now but it was my first WNBA game. And it was just fantastic. The game itself was fast paced and very professional. But what I loved about the game was being in the stadium with all those cheering female fans. From 5 to 75, all age groups were present and equally vocal about the game. They were die hard fans of Mercury and perhaps much better than SUNS fans. They were cheering and shouting and dancing and enjoying themselves like anything.

I though the Mercury Hip Hop Squad was way much better than SUNS dancers. The overall experience was much more friendly and warm and informal than the one at SUNS game. Of course I love SUNS but the people who come for the games are big, rich guys who don't really like the camaraderie with the school kids like me. But at the Mercury this thing was completely opposite. There was long time Mercury supporters who were equally welcoming to the neophytes like me.

I loved the game though we lost. But the spirit was alive throghout. Any time I see women in sports I feel powerful myself :) Girl thing, I guess. I told V that from next year we are going to support Mercury as hard as we support SUNS. Go Mercury!

No comments: