Monday, July 30, 2012

Dance with Me

Have you seen the Tango scene from "Take the Lead"? If not, do it right now. If you don't get swiped by it, I will lose anything. That's my all time favorite choreography and I watch it everyday. Dance, just by watching it takes me to the seventh heaven. If you love dancing as much as I do, you know what I am talking about.

I love to dance and choreograph. Dancing is like a drug to me or should I say the never ending trip to the heaven. It makes me feel powerful, amazing, relaxed and happy. I dance when I am sad, I dance when I am happy. In every moment of my life, I feel like dancing. When I was learning classical dance in India, it was the best time in my life. I used to wait for weekends when I could go practice and learn. It was exhausting and exhilarating, the same time. As soon as I hear music, I can't stop. I just put on my dancing shoes and I dance.

I have always been like this. Some people do drugs, I do dance :-) I find peace and solace in dancing. Every time life throws a curve ball and I can't hit it, I know I will find my pinch-hitter in dancing. When I dance, I forget everything. It doesn't matter if I am at club or on stage or at someone's home; all I can feel is music and me moving with it. Dance takes away all inhibitions, worries and frustrations. It provides only pleasure. Every type of dance classical, folk, ballroom, south american and so on an so forth. has its unique style and experience. Dancing with someone is equally beautiful. If you are game, I will take you out for a dance :-)

In my family, we all dance. Of course we are not Madhuri Dixits or Prabhudevas but we love to tap our feet to the music. I guess, dancing together with friends and family brings you closer in a wonderful way. Age, gender nothing matters. All matters is you response to the music. I have may friends who are not great dancers but are very enthusiastic dancers. I admire that. You don't have to be Michael Jackson to enjoy your time on the floor. To enjoy it, all you have to do is put your heart in it and you will find the place where you have never been before.

For some reason, many of my male friends shy away from floor. I tell them, 'just do it once and you will realize what you are missing'. I dance like no one is watching, and you do it too. To all my single male friends, girls like guys who dance. So even if you are no Gene Kelly, get your grove and you will find the 'magic'.

Dancing is sensuous and beautiful. And only if you dance, you know the difference between sensuality and vulgarity. As Antonio Banderas says in "Take the Lead" , "Your daughters will learn how to trust a man and you sons will learn how to touch a woman, respectfully". That's the beauty of dance. I find my freedom while dancing. May be you will find something too. So will you dance with me?

No comments: