Saturday, July 14, 2012

Man enough??

I just finished reading NY Times post about whether today's men are manly enoughAre modern men manly enough? That totally got me thinking about whole concept of manly man. Some of the author their have view of traditional masculine roles and how having them makes someone manly and of course the whole new change that the new century brought in form of "Metrosexual" man. While I do agree with some traditional notions, I do get the metrosexuality too. But I agree with Lawrence Scholassman when he says" being manly is lifestyle." So true.

With new era, we have changed the definitions of gender roles. I don't care about a man who can kill a deer or fix a tire and show no emotions, whatsoever ( Well , nothing wrong with either of those activities. But if you think that's what makes you a man, then 'sigh') . I think for me masculinity is about taking charge of one's life and destiny. And anyone; man or woman can be man enough if they do it. Like any other girl, I have seen my father as the manly man. He would lift things, do the traditional man-jobs but I have seen him buying groceries and help mom in kitchen. I have seen him put oil in my hair, talk about everything and share food (or should I say, eat what I did not eat) and show emotions while watching "White Christmas". I think he is the man's man. Growing up, I have seen traditional men doing nothing at home except sitting in front of television and ordering wife around, and saying "I can't do this, because I am a man". Phew! 

 As I made many friends (boys) over the years, I saw them taking charge of their lives and yet being sensible, sensitive and accepting things like they cry when no one is looking. I adore that. Accept that you have a heart and a brain and at times you need someone to tell you "it's ok". Man traditionally, a provider, needs someone to provide for him too. And not just money and food but love and affection and friendship and laughter. I think men who get it, are real men. I have seen V doing everything at home and not even thinking about it as something "not manly enough". I have a friend who admits that he is scared of spiders and lets me kill them :-) But all these boys I know, are funny, sensible and thoughtful. I think they are very masculine. I think being a man is about accepting who you are. For me, being a man, is about doing your own thinking and acting on it and taking responsibility. Whether you do it with a chainsaw in your hand or a cooking pan; doesn't matter. 

Of course, sometimes I think these days some men are into a little too much grooming. I have seen men with perfect tan, and nails and amazingly coordinated outfits. I find it a little over the top. But as long as they are "man enough" to admit that they enjoy it; I support them. I think being a man is so much more about being a good human being. If you are a good person, I don't care if you cried on your wedding day or had a new haircut at the spa or got your nails done or bought a pink shirt. In my book, you are a "Man".

No comments: