Friday, April 2, 2010

Hans Christian Andersen!

Today is hand Christian Andersen's 205th birthday. For his fans it is surely a reason to celebrate. I don't remember at what age I was introduced to his works but I got so much mesmerized by the stories that I still can not get over them. Who can ever forget "Thumbelina", "Princess and the Pea", "Little Mermaid" and all those other captivating beautiful stories? When I first read his works I read the Marathi translations. As I grew up I read them in English. Unfortunately, I do not read Danish but it would be treat to learn the language just to read Andersen.

In winter 2009, when we drove up in California we visited a small Danish village "Solvang". On the central street they have Hans Christian Andersen's bust. I was so excited to see it that I almost shouted his name out :) Solvang has a very small museum that is dedicated to Andersen. It contains some of his famous works in original Danish print. Many of books are there those got published in different countries. It was a wonderful moment to be in that small place and read about his life and think about his work.

Andersen is alive forever, like all the other great creators are. I love him and I now own a big fat book that collects all his stories. Whenever I feel a little lonely or upset I just open any page of Andersen's story book and start reading. It makes me smile and enjoy every single moment of it. He has such a power over me and millions others who have been reading his books since they were toddlers!

I love you, Hans Christian Andersen and I am sure all of us will keep reading your books and enjoying knowing how Thumeblina finally married the prince!

No comments: