Thursday, June 26, 2008

I am blessed to be in the field of public service. This feeling has always been in there but now days I work in the field actually, I feel how lucky I am to be here.

Yesterday I went for a wonderful presentation about the Association’s program in Afghanistan. Along with Federal Agency my organization works in many countries with their local governments. As the Afghanistan program director mentioned, the aim is not to bring sweeping changes in those countries but just to be an addendum to the wheel to better governance. Afghanistan has been in the discussion for more than forty years now. The conflict, instability, continuous distraction and all these factors leading to unstable country and unstable economy. Many cities do not have the basic infrastructure with water , electricity, schools ,roads , waste management etc and association is working with localities to build these facilities.

The director mentioned about the safety issues there and even said that we had to withdraw from some cities due to the security concerns. We were unfortunate to lose 25 of local staff in one of the cities due to security situation. But still the on site staff is working with the same zeal, even if they need to wear heavy armors sometimes.

Then there was a story about a girl who could not go to school. Not because her parents did not let her but because she had to fetch water from river all day to keep enough water at home. Now with the water faucet in her home, she does not worry about drinking water. Now she goes to school. What a simple situation! But as we never face this problem, it’s hard to comprehend the gravity of these things. Association did not do any thing drastic. We just got a water faucet that brings safe drinking water. Very small change but a huge impact.

Then there was Women’s market which is built and operated by women. It’s a market where women can shop without a man being present. Not something radical but a project that made a difference.

I think, the satisfaction I get even thinking that am attached to an organization which is able to bring very small but important changes in the lives of many, makes me feel grateful. I am extremely satisfied with my decision to be in this field. I am truly blessed to be here.

1 comment:

Gayatri said...

Yes, definitely, Rhucha.
A youth, so sensitive, so homane,like you, needs to be in the field where you've got yourself a wide canvas to help out the deprived of 'life'.
My all the very best wishes are with you.
Suggest people like us a way to support the cause for which you stand.