Friday, June 13, 2008

If you go to ASU School of Public Affairs, then Association is not a new name for you. SPA professors do recommend Association publications as their course materials. ‘Good to Great’ by Jim Collins is quite a favorite among SPA faculty. I think, SPA students are very much familiar by Association than some of their counterparts in other schools. Especially if you are interested in local government (which is an important concentration SPA) then Association are you household name. I was lucky to know about Association and also work on some of the projects while working with ‘Alliance for Innovation’.

Currently I am working on two projects. E-library which is an online resource for local government managers, students, professionals and researchers. We have recently introduced some more topics of interest in the library and keeping the library up to date is a big task. I have come across really good resources which are easy to read and understand. If you are a local government professional then getting resources which will help you do your job better is very important. As we all know how busy the professionals are. So focus is more on practical and easy to process materials. This does not mean that professionals don’t read or appreciate sophisticated research.

Another project I am working is the LGEAN. The Local Government Environmental Assistance Network (LGEAN) is a "first-stop shop" providing environmental management, planning, funding, and regulatory information for local government elected and appointed officials, managers and staff. It is one of the many compliance centers EPA has. It’s interesting to keep members updated with latest news/ regulations/programs etc.

Most of my work is related to updating and as easy as it sounds, it is not. In fact time comes when I just get lost in tons of information. But finding related and useful information is the trick of the trade. Sometimes I do get to anser memeber queries and in that case sending research articles is very much fun.

I think it’s a small way to start my way towards some of these issues. I hope to know more about them in coming days.

No comments: