Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Today, I completed one month in my current intern position. Time flies….It has been a very happening one month. Coming to DC, getting settled into apartment, getting to know about Association and my work, meeting new people. All has been very fast and interesting. I just don’t remember a single dull moment during this time and I hope this continue until the end.

Most of my work need me to work of computer and internet researching about new material, information, legislation about the preference areas. I have visited many governmental web sites and something I found common was not very robust websites. Of course I am talking about local governments as federal and state governments do have more robust and up to date websites. E government is one of the most talked and preached term these days. I had to chance to work on a small e government index project with Alliance which was based on Association's survey. Interestingly when I was working on that project I was surprised to think that why we need a question like “DO you have a web site?” and now I know the answer. Many smaller jurisdictions still need more resources to provide information about the interesting practices they are following.

Given the information age and the computer oriented world today, not even having a web site makes it difficult for someone who is not in the area and wants to contact the particular local government.I once tried to contact a jurisdiction and the email bounced back saying that the mailbox does not exist. I was taken aback. If I can’t contact the government for a small inquiry, how am I supposed to get my information going?My point is am not expecting a great Google website but all I want is simple and easy where I can just go and find all the information I need without calling 1800 number listed.

I don’t want to underestimate any part of work government and the agencies do. But I would just like to mention that “I need to know your great work and please give me access easily”.

2 comments:

V said...

time surely flies !

Barbara said...

Yeah, Rhucha. It is very interesting to think about how smaller cities with less digital access deal with citizens, and research, information dissemination, etc. The digital divide is very real in our country and across the globe.